I think it is unfair that African Americans are treated the way they are in the short story “Revolt of the Evil Fairies” by Ted Poston What hit me most in the Revolt of the Evil Fairies was that there was a lot of discrimination. The teachers are light skinned, , and how they picked good and evil fairies, prince charming, and sleeping beauty, yaller always got better lives than African Americans.
I think teachers being light skinned is not fair. At the Booker T. Washington Colored Grammar School all teachers were yaller. Yaller meanig african americans who can pass for white. According to the story “ they held most of the teaching jobs in the Booker T. Washington Colored Grammar School.” I think this is very unfair at least give them a chance. They are african american just with darker skin. In this story I see that there is a lot of injustice.
Picking good and evil fairies. Also picking prince charming, and sleeping beauty. It should be based on how you play the part, on your audition. In the story it states "the first time they turned me down for Prince Charming that was the year they picked Roger Jackson. Roger was not only dumb, he stuttered. But he was light enough to pass for white." I think that unfair that a person that spoke clearly but had a dark complexion was turned down for a person who stuttered with a light complexion. This shows a lot of discrimination threw out the story.
“Yallers” always got a better life. They held most of the teaching jobs in the Booker T. Washington Colored Grammar School. They were “negro doctors, lawyers, and insurance men.” I think that african americans can do these job. I know this was during segregation but now in the 21st century we have a lot of negro doctors, lawyers, and insurance men. We also have a lot of women negro doctors, lawyers, and insurance women.
In conclusion there was a lot of discrimination shown through the story. In my school M.S. 51 William Alexander middle school it is a community where your skin complexion is not a factor. It is chosen on your talent. Mine is dance. And when I dance I feel like the weight of the world isn’t on my shoulders. If I was the protagonist I would just suck it up and learn that I could never be Prince Charming. (In the story that is exactly what he learns.)
great job you had some very bold opinions and were very clear
ReplyDeletewell done
Cassius